13th Burnham Art Trail
Saturday 24th June to Sunday 2nd July 2017
Invitation to apply for the 2017 Burnham Art Trail
The Burnham Art Trail continues to build on its reputation each year and we are now one of the highlights in the Essex Summer of Art’s calendar, bringing a wide range of exciting and original new art to the public.
The Burnham Art Trail is an artist led event, run by volunteers for the benefit of all participating artists and we hope that you will apply for the 2017 Trail. We look forward also to you being involved in some of the additional activities such as giving demonstrations, providing sketch books, as well as invigilating.
Building on some of the feedback from the artists and visitors, this year we have made some exciting new changes to the format.
Art on the Quay was very successful last year – the public love to see art in action and talk to the artist, so this year we intend to hold two ‘Art on the Quay’ events; the first as a promotional warm up to the Trail, the second during the Trail week. It is an excellent opportunity to show, promote and sell your work directly to customers and is highly recommended, especially for artists whose work will be displayed in shops – it certainly helps to generate more sales.
The Trail will have extensive publicity, with press releases and advertisements in a range of publications, and promotion of the Trail via Twitter, Facebook and our website, www.burnhamarttrail.co.uk. We intend to increase our use of social media substantially but we need your help to do this. By posting news, images and sharing links with us on social media, this will raise your own profile and that of the Trail.
A free leaflet/map, with details of all participating artists and venues will be distributed in good time throughout the region to libraries, tourist information offices, public information points and public notice boards. Importantly, we will continue to be part of ‘Essex Summer of Art’, a county-wide initiative well publicised by Essex County Council, Firstsite and the BBC. A brochure is widely distributed, and the event is supported by publicity in ECC publications and a complete section on the Essex Tourism website.
As in previous years, the Trail will be a prominent community event, which will also include a community project that we hope you will get involved in – more details to follow. Local shops, public buildings and businesses will continue to support us by providing exhibition spaces easily visible to the public, eg shop windows, gardens, or wall space. Comprehensive local advertising will include banners along the High Street, posters and Trail signposts.
It is always a special time for local artists, giving them the opportunity to meet, socialize and celebrate their achievements and we hope to see you at the launch party.
Some important information:
- Submission forms should be completed and returned no later than Friday 17 February 2017 to: Burnham Art Trail, Artist Submission, Caprice, Seaway,
St Lawrence, CM0 7ND.
- The 2017 trail dates are Saturday 24 June to Sunday 2 July. The Art on the Quay dates are Sunday 18 June and Sunday 25 June.
- The launch party will take place at 7pm on Friday 23 June in the museum.
- Participating artists are expected to transport and install their own work in their designated venue by Friday 23 June.
- Participating artists are responsible for organising their own insurance, if considered necessary.
- All participating artists are asked to provide a piece of postcard-sized original artwork for the Secret Postcard auction – a fundraising event for the trail.
- All participating artists are expected to assist in some way in the running of the event, whether it be sketching on the Quay, delivering leaflets, social media involvement or assist with stewarding, etc.
- Work must be kept on display in venues for the entire duration of the trail.
- Depending on the availability of space and number of submissions, we cannot guarantee that all applicants will be selected. All submissions will be reviewed by the selection panel, and applicants notified of the outcome by the end of March. Unsuccessful applicants will have their £25 entry fee returned.
If you would like more information about the trail, or have a query about your submission, please get in touch by calling me on 07714 333755, or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org Otherwise, we look forward to receiving your submission soon.
With best wishes,
Art Trail Admissions Secretary