14th Burnham Art Trail
Saturday 23rd June to Sunday 1st July 2018
Invitation to apply for the 2018 Burnham Art Trail – Deadline extended to Friday 23 February
As we begin our preparations for 2018, we look forward to another successful Burnham Art Trail and take pleasure in inviting you to apply. This year promises to be extra special as we take part in celebrating the 10th anniversary of The Essex Summer of Art which is a county-wide initiative, well publicised by Essex County Council, Essex Tourism and Firstsite.
Burnham Art Trail, now fourteen years old, is one of the highlights in the Essex Summer of Art’s calendar, bringing a wide range of exciting and original new art to the public.
Our ‘Art on the Quay’ event was very successful last year – the public love to see art in action and talk to the artist, so this year we intend to hold two ‘Art on the Quay’ events during the Trail week. It is an excellent opportunity to show, promote and sell your work directly to customers and is highly recommended.
The Trail will have extensive publicity, with press releases and adverts in a range of publications, promotion on local radio and online as well as via Instagram, Facebook and our website, www.burnhamarttrail.co.uk.
A promotional leaflet and poster publicising the event will be distributed in good time throughout the region to libraries, Tourist Information Centres, public information points and public notice boards. A guide with a map and details of participating artists will be available at the venues and around the town nearer the time, as well as banners along the High Street, posters and Trail signposts.
As in previous years, the Trail will be a prominent community event, which will also include a community project. Local shops, public buildings and businesses will continue to support us by providing exhibition spaces easily visible to the public, eg shop windows, gardens, or wall space. There will also be an Open Show to be held at the Station House, where artists can submit one piece of work as a taster for the Trail.
As an artist led event, The Burnham Art Trail is run by volunteers for the benefit of all participating artists. In order for the Trail to continue to succeed, part of the application process will be a commitment on behalf of the artist to support and help in the running of the Trail.
Some important information:
- Submission forms should be completed and returned no later than Friday 23 February 2018 to: Burnham Art Trail, Artist Submission, Caprice, Seaway, St Lawrence, CM0 7ND or by email to email@example.com.
- The 2018 Trail dates are Saturday 23 June to Sunday 1 July. The Art on the Quay dates are Sunday 24 June and Saturday 30 June.
- The launch party will take place at 7pm on Friday 22 June in the Burnham Museum.
- Participating artists are expected to transport and install their own work in their designated venue by Friday 22 June.
- Participating artists are responsible for organising their own insurance, if considered necessary.
- All participating artists must provide a piece of postcard-sized original artwork for the Secret Postcard auction – a fundraising event for the Trail.
- It is also expected that all participating artists assist in some way in the running of the event, whether it be sketching on the Quay, delivering leaflets, social media involvement, giving demonstrations or assisting with stewarding, etc.
- In order to keep the Trail fresh and interesting, work must be new to the Trail and kept on display in venues for the entire duration of the Trail.
- If exhibiting in the Burnham Museum, work must be offered for sale (one item exception permitted).
- Should your work be selected to be shown in the Museum there will be a 20% commission fee, and 10% commission if shown at the Station House.
- Depending on the availability of space and number of submissions, we cannot guarantee that all applicants will be selected. The selection panel will review all submissions, and applicants will be notified of the outcome by the end of March. Unsuccessful applicants will have their £25 entry fee returned.
The Burnham Art Trail is always a special time for local artists, giving an opportunity to meet, connect, and be part of a thriving community.
If you would like more information, or have a query about your submission, please get in touch by calling me on 07714 333755, or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Otherwise, we look forward to receiving your submission soon.
With best wishes,
Art Trail Admissions Secretary